<$BlogRSDURL$>
Tram Town
Sunday, January 18, 2004
 
Category: BigPond
So I missed the announcement last Thursday that BigPond has established an online music store with Digital Rights Management using the Windows Media Player technology. This technology "stops" you from listening to the downloaded music on your iPod, it also limits the number of times the music can be burned onto a CD to three. I can think of at least three ways around these limitations but to publish them here would probably be very naughty.
I was about to download a song until I discovered that as a broadband user I can not have them billed to my broadband account:
BigPond Dial-Up customers - Use your existing BigPond log-in to access the BigPond Music Download service.
BigPond Broadband customers - If you wish to download tracks from the BigPond Music Store you must have a secondary billing method established.
Click here to set up your preferred payment options.
Please note: Your Broadband bill number can not be used for Additional Services. [ my emphasis ]
It seems that this is true for all of BP's Additional Services, amongst them Spam filtering and Firewalling. I'm willing to bet that this is related to another great bugbear of Broadband customers: the inability to pay your bill using BPay. I have heard from a number of people who have queried this limitation and they have had numerous responses ranging from ignorance to "sometime soon".
If any of our many, many readers know why this limitation exists, please let us know, in the meantime I guess Broadband customers will just continue to use traditional methods of music acquisition.


Powered by Blogger