<$BlogRSDURL$>
Tram Town
Saturday, January 10, 2004
 
Category: Music
I came across an article about second albums in the SSS this morning. It is quite an interesting piece of work which was sourced from the Grauniad. It is ostensibly about the Strokes' second album Room on Fire but discusses Difficult Second Album Syndrome at some length.
I was surprised to see
Essentially, Room on Fire has bombed: it's languishing at number 80 on the ARIA charts. The Strokes might find it hard to regain their confidence.
as the tag for the article given that it came from the UK; why the hell would anyone on the other side of the world give a damn about the ARIA charts? And why were they talking at such length about a "new" album that I have had for months? (I am a fan BTW)
[ shot of Semi on a virtual trot over to the Grauniad archives ]
The original article was written in September last year, it made no mention of the ARIA charts, it was roughly twice as long, it was a much more satisfying read (because it was complete), and it had some useful off-site links. It appears the SSS was keen to look topical given the Strokes impending gigs in Melbourne and was quite happy to provide some mangled, dated nonsense.

I'm sure this sort of thing is happening all the time in the newspaper world; I am an outsider. We would never have been able find out that it was happening before the information super highway (© Al Gore) came along. I guess I'll just go to the source from now on. I just wish they'd put the source at the top of the article rather than the bottom.


Powered by Blogger