<$BlogRSDURL$>
Tram Town
Monday, March 29, 2004
 
Category: Poetry
Never understood it, me. But this one's a bloody cracker. Heck, Dave's place is chocka with good stuff. How could you but love the Paterson piece starting:
I had written him a letter which I had, for want of better
Knowledge, sent to where I met him down the Lachlan, years ago,
He was shearing when I knew him, so I sent the letter to him,
Just `on spec', addressed as follows, `Clancy, of The Overflow'.

And an answer came directed in a writing unexpected,
(And I think the same was written with a thumb-nail dipped in tar)
'Twas his shearing mate who wrote it, and verbatim I will quote it:
`Clancy's gone to Queensland droving, and we don't know where he are.'
And, ignorant as I am I didn't know of Jack Mathieu, this perfect couplet (am I using the correct terminology?):
And he looked as full of knowledge as a thirty-acre college
I can't love the midi music that plays at some points in the journey, though.


Powered by Blogger