<$BlogRSDURL$>
Tram Town
Tuesday, May 10, 2005
 
Category: Intellectuals
Suzy Edwards' article in today's TTT is a magnificent piece of work that makes me feel a bit less stupid about failing to understand what Martin Harrison was on about as first sepaker during that lecture on Sunday.
As a newly established resident of Narre Warren, it is perhaps surprising that my literacy skills and intellectual curiosity were sufficient enough to allow me to start, let alone finish Margaret Simons' (Review, 7/5) summation of my life as an Australian citizen living in the outer suburbs. Her unfortunate visit to Narre Warren and Fountain Gate, variously described as research, tourism or perhaps anthropology positioned me and my fellow residents as nothing more than vacuous curiosities available for examination from the supposed superiority afforded the cultural elite via the distinction of their educated inner-city location.
Big words from a Monash academic and more power to her. The real shame is that she lowered herself to using the word "narrative" four times during the closing paragraphs.
Read it all and remember that most of our academics are second quartile intellects at best but think they are somehow elite. Suzy Edwards appears to have some idea of her place in the world and probably pushes well into the first quartile. I hope she teaches my children's teachers.
This is a must read surprise for the TTT. Thanks Slatts for the pointer.


Powered by Blogger