<$BlogRSDURL$>
Tram Town
Sunday, July 17, 2005
 
Category: Confession
I just bought a new street directory. It is [pause for dramatic effect...] a UBD! It WAS cheap but here's the thing: they appear to be using the Melway database and cartography standard. Map numbers are different and some of the map symbols are different and they have a range of scales depending mainly on distance from the CBD, oh and a lot of the colourings are different. Regardless, I am still certain that it uses the Melway database. Am I the last person to have noticed this change for the better?
UPDATE: Cartographic tragic that I am (I blame my father), I have been comparing the 2005 UBD with the 2004 Melway (which is the latest that I have). [WARNING: obscure Formula 1 reference follows] Remember when Sauber as a customer used to get last year's engine from Ferarri? The UBD lists the Monash synchrotron facility as a car park (which it used to be and will probably return after 100's of million$ have been poured in to it), whereas the Melway has it as what it currently is, including a completion estimate. This may, of course, be due to a level of detail choice by UBD but on the same map there are missing streets that are in the Melway so the jury is still out. Does anybody have the skinny on this?
UPUPDATE:Also, in the UBD, the Melway office is not noted at Map 70, G6 (Melway ref., of course, but how long can the "standard" last if UBD is producing a cheaper but nearly as useful product).


Powered by Blogger