<$BlogRSDURL$>
Tram Town
Friday, November 04, 2005
 
Category: DRM
An article in Information Week notes:
Sony is apparently borrowing a tactic from hackers for its digital-rights management technology, and some security experts question the practice.
In truth, the horse has bolted. If they want CDs to be playable on legacy equipment, they will be rippable to a PC. Of course, even when they do break legacy players things don't go all their way. A few months ago I bought a CD which simply would not play on my three year old portable player. My only choice for listening to the music was to rip and burn. Once it was on my PC I started making copies for other people. I probably would not have done this if the CD had played properly in the first place.
Just note, though, if you put an audio CD into your computer and it asks to install software, say NO! Also turn off auto_play for all of the CD drives in your PC. On Macintoshes this doesn't matter because they don't do anything useful.


Powered by Blogger