<$BlogRSDURL$>
Tram Town
Friday, November 18, 2005
 
Category: Politics
Over at the Oz Politics Blog, Bryan has a rough analysis of an interesting survey of candidates for the last federal election. While sample sizes are small and questions a tad pointed, the results certainly warrant a read.
The question was, ‘How proud are you to be an Australian?’ While 96 per cent of Coalition candidates were very proud to be an Australian almost two thirds of the Green’s candidates were either not very proud or not proud at all. It provides an interesting context for Howard’s use of the dog-whistle term, ‘un-Australian’.
I've always had a problem with this sort of pride. I certainly feel lucky or even pleased to be Australian but I can't be proud of something that I achieved by chance so I think the question is semantic gobbledygook. I am, however, quite proud of many of Australia's achievements on the world stage in recent years.
Perhaps one of the more interesting aspects of the article is that Antony Green has posted a comment. Go read!


Powered by Blogger