<$BlogRSDURL$>
Tram Town
Sunday, December 24, 2006
 
Category: (Devout) Atheism
I am almost certainly going to buy The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins but of late I have been having some doubts in my admiration of him. I have been known, in jest, to call myself a devout atheist but I'm afraid that such a thing does exist. Michael Fitzpatrick provides quite an interesting review of the book in Sp!ked which includes this:
Discussing the consequences of clerical sexual abuse in Ireland, [Dawkins] suggests that ‘horrible as sexual abuse no doubt was, the damage was arguably less than the long-term psychological damage inflicted by bringing the child up Catholic in the first place’ (p317). These are statements of such unmitigated prejudice – and indeed absurdity – that it is shocking to find them in a serious book by a reputable author.
I remain atheist but certainly not of the Dawkins ilk.


Powered by Blogger